- Why did you choose your field of study? …
- Explain why shear and moment diagrams are important.
- Tell me about a situation when you solved a technical problem.
- How would you go about a ground investigation for a building structure?
How To Prepare For A Structural Engineering Interview
To help you prepare for your Structural Engineer interview, here are 30 interview questions and answer examples.
Structural Engineer was written by Josh Sadlock and updated on February 12th, 2021. Learn more here.
Interview Questions for Structural Engineers:
This question tests the candidate’s problem-solving ability.
What engineering skills have you developed or improved upon during the past year?
As an engineer, you should never stop learning and picking up new skills. This is the key to growth and becoming a successful contributor to your firms teams. It should be a point of pride to discuss what you have worked on. Discuss specific skills you have gone out of your way to study and how they make you a more valuable asset to their firm.
“Over the past year, I have really worked hard to learn more about foundation design. When Im working on big building projects as a structural engineer, I think it will really help the team out to have an engineer who is able to communicate directly with the geotechnical team and understand their language and field more fully. We need to be able to work across multiple disciplines to get the best results.”
“Over the past year, I have been learning to program through Python and the use of machine learning. I believe that structural engineering is multi-disciplinary, and its important to have sufficient knowledge of the latest advancements in computational programming. Over the past couple of months, I have also been working on developing an online tool to perform the design of structural members using Java.”
Marcies Feedback for the Answer Above
Great answer! Any interviewer will view it as a positive that you have been honing your programming skills. Not only have you been working on improving in this area, but you mention multiple programming languages which is impressive. Nice!
How would you rate Marcies Feedback?
What questions should I ask my structural engineer?
- Why do I need to hire a Structural Engineer? …
- What Structural Engineers provide: …
- What can I/my company do to keep a project on track or within budget? …
- What new rules or regulations are going to affect my project? …
- Why do you think you’re the right firm for this project?
What are the basic questions asked in engineering interview?
- Tell me about the most challenging engineering project you’ve worked on.
- Describe a written technical report or presentation you had to complete.
- Explain a time you had to use logic to solve an engineering problem.
- Describe a time you demonstrated leadership skills at work.
What are some questions to ask a civil engineer?
- What Drew You to Civil Engineering?
- What Qualities Do Competent Civil Engineers Have?
- What Are Some of the Biggest Challenges Civil Engineers Face?
- Tell Me About an Issue You Solved in Your Last Job.
- What Factors Do You Take into Consideration When Starting a Project?
What a structural engineer needs to know?