The role of database administration is very critical when it comes to managing databases and ensuring their information is accessible when needed. For this role, you need to hire a person who can efficiently manage the company’s data, databases, and servers. These are critical assets that must be handled by a competent individual. Here are the top 20 questions and answers that will help you select an expert database administrator for your company.
Top 20 Database Administrator Interview Questions and Answers for 2022
33. If you are given access to a SQL Server, how do you find if the SQL Instance is a named instance or a default instance?
I would go to the SQL Server Configuration Manager. In the left pane of the tool, I would select SQL Server Services, the right side pane displays all of the SQL Server Services/components that are installed on that machine. If the Service is displayed as (MSSQLSERVER), then it indicates it is a default instance, else there will be the Instance name displayed.
31. What are the different components of Replication and what is their use?
The 3 main components in Replication are Publisher, Distributor, and Subscriber. The publisher is the data source of a publication. The distributor is responsible for distributing the database objects to one or more destinations. The subscriber is the destination where the publishers data is copied/replicated.
3. How do you trace the traffic hitting a SQL Server?
SQL profiler is the SQL Server utility you can use to trace the traffic on the SQL Server instance. Traces can be filtered to narrow down the transactions that are captured and reducing the overhead incurred for the trace. The trace files can be searched, saved off, and even replayed to facilitate troubleshooting.
What are the interview questions for database administrator?
- What types of databases do you work with? …
- Do you have experience with on-premises databases, cloud databases or both? …
- Can you explain what ODBC is? …
- What is the highest number of database servers you have worked with? …
- How would you handle data loss during a database migration?
What are five main functions of a database administrator?
- Software installation and Maintenance.
- Data Extraction, Transformation, and Loading.
- Specialised Data Handling.
- Database Backup and Recovery.
- Capacity Planning.
- Performance Monitoring.
Why do you want to work as a database administrator?